Dogs Can’t Eat Chocolate!
Although some people foods are fine in moderation, this is definitely not the case with chocolate. Chocolate can sicken and even kill dogs, and it is one of the most common causes of canine poisoning, veterinarians say. Veterinarian Michelle DeHaven says the worst case of chocolate poisoning she ever saw happened when some owners fed their eight-pound poodle a pound of chocolate on his birthday.
“We had to treat the dog with fluids and anti-seizure medication for five days,” says DeHaven, who practices in Smyrna, Ga. “Every time we stopped the meds he would start seizuring again. You wouldn’t feed a kid a pound of chocolate, but they fed it to a small dog.”
No amount of chocolate is OK for your dog to consume. Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are riskiest; milk and white chocolate pose a much less serious risk.